Sunday, June 22, 2014

Implausible Dreams - June 22, 2014

Thank you for joining us here. The original mission for this blog was simple - contain and channel my energy as I prepared to join Sam's Army and the US at the World Cup in 2002.

As I searched for a name for the blog, I dove deep into the lyrics of my favorite band, Rush, and came away with something that I have been very happy with ever since.

I'm not giving in to security under pressure
I'm not missing out on the promise of adventure
I'm not giving up on implausible dreams

It is from The Enemy Within, off of Grace Under Pressure, and it has served me well for 12 years. Nothing is going to change now, and in fact, it is all the more accurate as today, the US once again plays Portugal, but this time with so much more on the line.

Thank you for joining me. Please see the list on the right of recent articles if you want to skim through topics. But I want to leave you with one other Rush song, one that I was swimming in leading up to the last time the US played Portugal in the World Cup: One Little Victory. If this isn't American - the way we play soccer, with a willingness to risk defeat, a willingness to appear naive, I don't know what is.

Bring it, Portugal, because a nation that has shown it not only wants to play on the biggest stage, it has the intestinal fortitude to scare even the biggest of opponents (remember how Brazil felt in June of 2009, final of the Confederations Cup, down 2-0 to the US after the US had beaten Spain by the same score?), and it is bringing its full battery of fans, passion, heart and soul and coming after you.

You heard it here - Dos A Cero ain't just for Mexico anymore. Today, we're hanging it on you, Portugal. One Little Victory.

A certain measure of innocence
Willing to appear naive
A certain degree of imagination
A measure of make-believe

A certain degree of surrender
To the forces of light and heat
A shot of satisfaction
In a willingness to risk defeat


Celebrate the moment
As it turns into one more
Another chance at victory
Another chance to score

The measure of the moment
In a difference of degree
Just one little victory
A spirit breaking free
One little victory
The greatest act can be
One little victory

A certain measure of righteousness
A certain amount of force
A certain degree of determination
Daring on a different course

A certain amount of resistance
To the forces of the light and love
A certain measure of tolerance
A willingness to rise above 

Celebrate the moment
As it turns into one more
Another chance at victory
Another chance to score

The measure of the moment
In a difference of degree
Just one little victory
A spirit breaking free
One little victory
The greatest act can be
One little victory

No comments: